Troy & I got to take a 5 day trip to Florida to visit my parents who are serving a mission on the Deseret Citrus and Cattle Ranch. The Ranch is 500 square miles. We didn't get to see it all but what we did see was wonderful. It was so beautiful and full of new and interesting things. We arrived on Monday evening and hopped in the car to go exploring.
It was like a jungle. The pastures were cleared of all trees(it has taken them 50 years to create them). Everywhere else was lush with all kinds of vegetation. So different from Arizona.
They don't have rocks on the ranch just sand and shells. The ground is all fossilized shells and they actually dig them up and use the shell for all kinds of things.(Like making roads) We went to the dig spot and found really cool huge shells.
We were there at sunset and it was amazing.
Troy searched til he found the biggest shell.
The trees are covered with Spanish moss. Kinda creepy kinda pretty.
We drove many roads and found gator tracks all over. It was so late but we were able to spot our first gator!
This owl sat on the same fence every night. We got so close to him it was cool.
These huge cranes were so funny to watch. We woke up to people talking outside our window then went out to see it was this family of birds.
These hoppers were everywhere and were at least 4 inches long. I took this picture for Rustin who loves bugs.
The second day we got up and took a walk around the work yard near by. We got to meet a lot of people and we got to see the tractors. Nana drove this one and pushed over a tree. She said it was so easy with this big rig. I was impressed. (So was Jaxon when I showed him the picture.)
My mom standing in front of her own personal jurassic park. It looks beautiful but I was not about to go in it. Way too many poiseness snakes for me.
Later that day we went to the beach. It was overcast but still nice. Plants and flowers grow everywhere.
The beach was just tons of tiny shells. We collected a bunch and brought them home to Lacey. She has them all sorted out and has already created necklaces out of the ones with holes.
Canyon loved the sand. He had a great sensorial experience just diggin in.
I love this picture Troy took of Canyon.
I was a little hesitant to get in thinking it would be cold and no sun either. But to my surprise the water was perfect. It was so fun to ride the waves. I have always loved the beach. I could have stayed there all week.
After the beach we got to go on a 2 hour air boat ride. This was by far the best part of the trip. We rode over land and water and it felt like we were gliding no flying.
We saw so many amazing things and so close.
These canals go all over the ranch and some lead to larger lakes.
Cyprus knees
My husband looking like a kid on Christmas morning.
Large GATOR up close and personal...we practically ran him over. Troy counted and we saw at least 30 alligators on this ride.
We were going so fast all kinds of bugs and creatures landed on us this little guy was hanging on for dear life.
After riding around for a while and doing a 360 on the lake....so fun....our guide DALE spotted a small gator and to our suprise jumped out and chased him down. He was wet to his waste when he came back on and the first thing he did was hand the gator to my mom. It was hilarious. Troy couldn't wait to get his hands on it and I was completly forced. It felt dry and not slimy like I expected but I was sure it was going to snap its head around and take a bite of me. Afterward I felt quite brave.
Dale showed us how to put him to sleep by rubbing his belly.
Dale
The Lake
Troy wanted to catch a GATOR himself so bad. He chased this guy around for a while but he got away in the end.
That was the ride of a lifetime.













No comments:
Post a Comment